When Would I Need A Notary Service?


Notary Services exist to prevent fraud and protect people’s identities and belongings. 

A Notary Public performs many important duties: 

  • authenticates a person’s identity when signing a document
  • verifies the authenticity of a document
  • witnesses a person signing a document
  • certifies true copies of documents
  • verifies documents to be used abroad 

You may be heading overseas and need certain documents witnessed, signed and authenticated for various reasons. Or you could require someone to witness your signature for business purposes locally. 

Whatever the reason you require notary services, TY Lawyers in Chatswood specialises in all types both domestically and internationally: personal documentation, corporate and business transactions and international authentication. 

Notarisation serves three purposes: 

  1. It ensures the person signing a document is who they say they are
  2. It ensure the person signing the document is signing it of their own free will
  3. It ensures the transaction can be verified afterward 

Examples of Common Notary Documents 

  • Power of Attorney

When utilised, a Power of Attorney (POA) gives someone legal authority to make decisions on your behalf. There are many reasons for this, for example, if someone loses cognitive ability to make their own decisions, they may choose someone they trust to make decisions on their behalf. 

  • A Will

A legally binding Will requires multiple signatures to be witnessed in the sight of a lawyer or notary public. 

  • Corporate Documents

If you’re looking for someone professional to witness or authenticate corporate documents, a notary public can assist. 

  • Contracts for certain types of purchases 
  • An education certificate to be recognised internationally

When relocating or working on a visa in another country, you may be required to provide your educational certificates or qualifications to the intended country. A notary public can witness and verify these documents for you. 

  • Travel authorisation for children

If a child under 18 is travelling overseas without one or both parents, it is advisable to complete a travel consent letter. If there is no consent to overseas travel by one or both parents, questions could be raised at immigration checkpoints. Generally travel consent documents signed in Australia for use overseas will be required to be notarised.

It’s important to always check the requirements of the country you are intending your child to travel to, to see what is legally required. 

  • Contracts and documents relating to overseas property
    When there is a sale of foreign property or business, a notary is required to authenticate specific documents.

  • Affidavits and declarations 

What You Need To Bring To Your Notary Appointment 

It’s always important to be prepared! Bring the following along to your notary appointment: 

  1. The document you would like to notarise
  2. 2 forms of valid photo ID. Preferred ID includes passport and drivers’ licence
  3. Any other individuals and their ID, who will be signing the document
  4. Payment for notary service 

Our team of lawyers are bilingual, catering to clients of all backgrounds and nationalities. TY Lawyers speak fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin. 

Get in touch with us today to discuss your notary requirements and one of our experienced legal professionals will get back to you as soon as possible. Call TY Lawyers Chatswood on: (02) 8007 0135.

Please wait...